• Planning permission and building regulations apply if you are considering starting a business offering serviced or self-catering accommodation, or if you plan to convert, extend or make structural alterations to an existing property or construct a new building.
  • Contact the planning department of your local authority for advice on planning permission.
  • Asbestos can be found in buildings and can pose a serious health risk. You must identify whether the building contains asbestos, keep an up-to-date record of the location and condition of asbestos-containing materials, assess any risk, and prepare a plan to manage that risk. 

Building Regulations apply whenever a building is erected, extended, materially altered or made subject to a material change of use. They also cover other works and fittings such as:

  • new drainage and sanitary installations
  • new heating installations
  • structural alterations to a building
  • alterations which have an effect on existing means of escape in fire
  • replacement windows and external doors in dwellings
  • electrical installations in dwellings
  • change to a building’s energy status and renovation or replacement of thermal elements of a building (such as re-roofing, replacement cladding, re-plastering, dry lining, external render, and renovation or replacement of existing floors).

Note! Even if you are not thinking of altering your house to accommodate bed and breakfast guests, and planning permission is not required, you may still be required to do work to your property in order to meet building regulations requirements.

For further information on building regulations please follow this link http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/.