ONS has published research on the impact of coronavirus on the hospitality sector from January 2020 to the end of May 2021.
Some of the key findings from the study are:
- The sector has been one of the hardest hit with spending still 30% down
- There is significant variation within the sector (bars and clubs have been significantly impacted while campsites have fared relatively well)
- The number of employees remains 11% below Feb 2020 levels
- 590,000 employees remained on furloughed at the end of May 2021
- Only 14% of pubs and bars and only 15% of licensed restaurants reported that they had “high” confidence that they would survive the next three months. This compares to 47% for all businesses.