Strategic Research & Insight (SRI), an independent Cardiff-based research agency has been commissioned by Welsh Government to interview stakeholders to explore establishing a statutory registration or licensing scheme for holiday accommodation operators in Wales.
SRI will be speaking to stakeholders in Welsh Government, local authorities and trade associations in Wales, as well as researching best practice in other countries, to consider:
- Whether developing a registration scheme or licensing scheme would be appropriate in Wales
- The options for how a scheme would be operated and delivered at national and/or local level
- Resources required for each of the best options
- How a scheme would support wider areas of Welsh Government policy such as housing and taxation
- Whether a scheme should merge or align with the existing Visit Wales grading scheme or follow the Rent Smart Wales model
There are significant potential benefits of the scheme, including a level playing field for professional and amateur accommodation operators, and a much better oversight of the sector to inform decision-making in tourism, housing, environmental health and taxation. WG also recognise there are wider views and considerations that need to be explored.
As it will not be possible for SRI to speak to all tourism businesses as part of this work, please feed any comments you have through your representative body; these will help form the decision on whether a scheme is implemented, and if so, how. Please feed in any comments/views to firstname.lastname@example.org who will collate for forwarding on to SRI.